- There are many vendors in the space, offering similar products and services.
- There are too many available products, complicating product purchasing.
- The product of choice must be a viable product from a viable vendor.
- A product must be able to fulfill current and future needs.
- You don’t want to invest in a product or vendor that will no longer fit your needs in the near future.
- Disaggregation is the future. The days of high-cost switches packaging software with hardware are coming to an end. Vendors are beginning to offer switch hardware and software separately. Expect to see an increase in white box switch offerings from more networking vendors.
- List pricing is just that – all vendors have list pricing, but discounting in the industry has become very competitive. Vendors have been known to offer discounts that are going as deep as 60% or more in competitive situations (40% is typical).
- Future-proofing is crucial. No matter the trend, the network is critical. Purchase your data center networking equipment and support from a vendor that recognizes key trends and supports them through software upgrades, connectivity, and technical support.
- If table stake features are all you need from your data center networking solution, the best differentiator is the vendor you choose. Dig deep to find the vendor that fits your organization's needs.
Impact and Result
- Prepare your data center networking for future business needs.
- Understand the evolving trends of data center network switches, including the popularization of disaggregated switching.
- Evaluate vendor capabilities to identify the ideal vendor for your needs.
- Examine differentiating product features and technologies to decide on the products you want.
This guided implementation is a three call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Technology and Vendor Requirements; Shortlist Vendors
Call #1 - Get off to a productive start: Discuss the market space and how vendors are evaluated. Decide on what you need from your products and vendors and narrow down the options based on your customized requirements.
Guided Implementation #2 - RFP and Budget Review
Call #1 - Interpreting and acting on RFP results: Review vendors’ RFPs and ensure the solution is meeting your needs. Discuss average pricing of solutions and what can fit into your budget.
Guided Implementation #3 - Negotiation and Contract Review
Call #1 - Purchase optimization: Review contracts and discuss best practices in negotiation tactics to get the best price for your solution.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.