Vendor Landscape: Data Center Networking
It may be time to switch up your data center network.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- There are many vendors in the space, offering similar products and services.
- There are too many available products, complicating product purchasing.
- The product of choice must be a viable product from a viable vendor.
- A product must be able to fulfill current and future needs.
- You don’t want to invest in a product or vendor that will no longer fit your needs in the near future.
- Disaggregation is the future. The days of high-cost switches packaging software with hardware are coming to an end. Vendors are beginning to offer switch hardware and software separately. Expect to see an increase in white box switch offerings from more networking vendors.
- List pricing is just that – all vendors have list pricing, but discounting in the industry has become very competitive. Vendors have been known to offer discounts that are going as deep as 60% or more in competitive situations (40% is typical).
- Future-proofing is crucial. No matter the trend, the network is critical. Purchase your data center networking equipment and support from a vendor that recognizes key trends and supports them through software upgrades, connectivity, and technical support.
- If table stake features are all you need from your data center networking solution, the best differentiator is the vendor you choose. Dig deep to find the vendor that fits your organization's needs.
Impact and Result
- Prepare your data center networking for future business needs.
- Understand the evolving trends of data center network switches, including the popularization of disaggregated switching.
- Evaluate vendor capabilities to identify the ideal vendor for your needs.
- Examine differentiating product features and technologies to decide on the products you want.
Want to Participate in Our Research?
Be recognized for your expertise! Participate in an expert interview with one of our analysts and we will showcase your contribution on our Info-Tech Client Hall Of Fame. Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour and provides you with the opportunity to share your best practices, opinions, tools or templates with your peers.
These interactive sessions will feature a panel of 1-5 experts and practitioners. Our research analysts will explore the topic with the panel, asking questions, looking for insight, and offering many opportunities for audience members to ask questions of their own. The overall goal is not only to keep us focused on topics you want to tackle, but also to help us shape the solution in realistic and compelling ways. Upcoming Workshops:
Accelerate your project with an onsite, expert analyst to facilitate a workshop for you. Contact us for more details. Your account representative and workshop coordinator will follow up to help determine the cost, timing, and other details of the workshop.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Evaluate options based on various product and vendor criteria
Create a shortlist to speed the product and selection process.
Identify the ideal data center switch product and vendor
Pinpoint an ideal data center network with quality products from a reliable vendor.
Talk to and negotiate with vendors
Identify each vendor’s specific offerings, and how these products align with your needs.
Build or Refresh the Wireless LAN
Outsource Network Management
Modernize the Enterprise Network in Five Steps
Make the Network Invisible by Developing a World Class Network Management Function
Build or Refresh the WLAN for Small Governments
Prepare for a Wireless World With Distributed Antenna Systems in Higher Education
Vendor Landscape: Data Center Networking
Prepare for Software Defined Networking
Build the Enterprise Access Network of the Future
Craft a Converged Data Center Network Strategy
Develop a Global Network Strategy
Secure the Network in a BYOD World
Vendor Landscape: Enterprise Wired and Wireless LAN