Redeploy IT Staff to Fill Changing Demands
Locate new areas of demand, select the right employee, retrain, and redeploy.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- Trends in IT put pressure on IT leaders to bring new skills into the IT department. Organizations expect the IT department to adapt to shifting technology without an increase in headcount.
- IT departments fear a loss of headcount if they terminate existing employees, leading to permanent headcount loss.
- The IT group faces a potential loss of capability if IT leadership does not address skill gaps now.
- Consider redeployment as your first and last option for filling skill gaps. Consider it first as potentially the lowest-cost, lowest-risk method of acquiring skills. Consider it again after you have exhausted all other options.
- Soft abilities, such as communication and negotiation, are often seen as harder to teach than technical skills. In reality, redeployed employees need to have demonstrated both the technical and soft abilities that are needed for the new role. Otherwise, you run a high risk of redeployment failure.
- Employees with T-shaped knowledge make particularly strong candidates for redeployment. They complement technical depth with knowledge of a variety of business and technical areas that relate to your specific operating environment. You have only a slim chance of finding employees outside the organization who can bring the same mix of useful interests to the table.
Impact and Result
- Find the best opportunities for redeploying IT resources. Build the shortlist of redeployable employees.
- Assess the value of redeployment relative to the other available options. Use redeployment only when it maximizes value.
- British Broadcasting Corporation
- Grand Rapids Community College
- The Jackson Laboratory
- United Counties of Leeds & Grenville
- Washington State Liquor Control Board
- An additional 11 companies contributed to this research. Due to the sensitivity of the information, their identities will be kept confidential.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Define a process for assessing employee redeployments
Redeploy employees to maximize IT value.
Learn about IT staff redeployment
Begin planning your redeployment strategy.
List the more promising candidates for redeployment
Narrow the field of potential redeployments.
Find the best candidates for redeployment
Plan the redeployments you need for each target position.