- The business fails to recognize the value of establishing an IT steering committee in the organization.
- It is difficult to define the responsibilities of the IT steering committee, which often leads to the creation of a working committee as opposed to a decision-making body.
- Processes are not well defined, resulting in an IT steering committee that lacks the ability to make sound decisions.
- Small enterprises have an advantage in creating an effective IT steering committee. Less people and fewer barriers create opportunities for senior management to be more involved with and better informed about IT and its projects.
- Too many organizations define the responsibilities of the IT steering committee based on its respective members. IT steering committee members should instead be selected based on the responsibilities the committee will have for them, and not vice versa.
- Avoid trying to measure the effectiveness of an IT steering committee in dollars and cents. The true value behind the committee is to effectively prioritize IT and its projects, which leads to better support of the business from IT.
Impact and Result
- This blueprint’s guidance will enable IT leaders to select the right members for the committee.
- Info-Tech’s approach creates an IT steering committee that understands its full set of responsibilities, and is armed with the steps to properly enact them.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Build your steering committee charter, and identify key processes
Call #1 - Scoping call
Call #2 - Discuss ITSC members and responsibilities
Call #3 - Review ITSC processes and metrics
Guided Implementation #2 - Define prioritization criteria and review the stakeholder presentation
Call #1 - Review project prioritization criteria matrix
Call #2 - Revise the ITSC presentation
Call #3 - Establish frequency for future reviews of ITSC performance
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.