How to Create a Business Case without Numbers
Gaining project approval usually starts with a strong business case, which is comprised of a few basic elements that drive home the cost/benefit analysis and ROI with stakeholders. The same principle is applied to projects with intangible benefits, but the elements of the business case are slightly different and quantifiable benefits can be more frustrating to identify. Projects based on business need which lack a numerical ROI include:
- Legal or regulatory compliance projects.
- Projects that help the organization maintain a competitive advantage.
- Infrastructure projects (i.e. to maintain or improve network performance).
- Projects that focus on increasing customer satisfaction.
- Projects that focus on increasing employee satisfaction.
- Projects that link IT initiatives to business strategies.