Optimize Requirements Gathering to Effectively Serve the Business
Poor requirements are the number one reason that projects fail – take a strategic approach to optimizing requirements gathering in order to give the business what it needs.
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Poor requirements are the number one reason that projects fail. Requirements gathering and management has been an ongoing bother for IT professionals for decades.
- If proper due diligence for requirements gathering is not conducted, then the applications that IT is deploying won’t meet business objectives, and will fail to deliver adequate business value.
- Inaccurate requirements definition can lead to significant amounts of project rework and hurt the organization’s financial performance. It will also create significant damage to the working relationship between IT and the business.
- To avoid making makeshift solutions, an organization needs to gather requirements with the desired future state in mind.
- Creating a unified set of standard operating procedures is essential for effectively gathering requirements, but many organizations fail to do it.
- Centralizing governance of requirements processes with a Requirements Gathering Steering Committee or Requirements Gathering Center of Excellence can bring greater uniformity and cohesion when gathering requirements across projects.
Impact and Result
- Enhanced requirements analysis will lead to tangible reductions in cycle time and reduced project overhead.
- An improvement in requirements analysis will strengthen the relationship between business and IT, as more and more applications satisfy stakeholder needs.
- More importantly, the applications delivered by IT will meet all of the “must have” and at least some of the “nice to have” requirements, allowing end users to successfully execute their day-to-day responsibilities.
Optimize requirements gathering processes
Conduct an overview of the major root causes and consequences of poor requirements gathering.
Determine the target state for requirements gathering
Understand requirements management approaches.
Assess current requirements gathering processes and identify gaps
Assess current requirements management processes.
Plan for requirements gathering
Understand the necessity of developing a set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for requirements management.
Determine which elicitation techniques the organization should employ for requirements gathering.
Allocate requirements across a phased deployment plan.
Manage, communicate, and test requirements
Conduct requirements traceability, testing, and reuse.