Secure the Network in a BYOD World
Your tolerance for risk will define your strategy.
- BYOD is becoming a reality in most organizations as more employees and senior management want to be able to merge their personal devices with their professional lives.
- Allowing personal devices opens up a world of new security risks that need to be addressed before BYOD is implemented.
- Organizations need to understand their tolerance to these risks before they can determine the right strategy to tackle them.
- Securing your network in the face of BYOD is not a one size fits all scenario.
- Every organization requires a unique strategy based on its tolerance to risk.
- An organization with a high tolerance to risk will require fewer controls than a low risk tolerant organization such as a hospital.
- Risk tolerance is dependent on a number of factors – the amount of sensitive data an organization maintains is a main one. The more sensitive data an organization possesses, the less risk it will be comfortable taking on.
- Having an understanding of your risk tolerance is the first and most important step before determining what kind of network security strategy is best.
Impact and Result
- Maximize your security strategy success by seeking first to understand your tolerance to risk, then choosing a strategy based on that risk tolerance level.
- Prepare to adjust your strategy if you discover your perception of your risk tolerance level differs from reality. You may need to invest in more security-related tactics, or decide to scale back your methods.
Understand how the organization's risk tolerance affects what network security strategy must be implemented.
Understand the definitions of risk tolerance, and how each level informs a network security strategy.
Identify whether the current perception of the organization's risk tolerance matches reality, and identify gaps in the security strategy.
Understand the requirements the organization must adhere to, the controls it has in place, and the controls that are on the implementation roadmap.