Develop a Standby Power Strategy
Protect critical assets by determining the right standby power solution for the enterprise.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- Many IT departments overlook best practices for standby power assessment and procurement, mistaking this critical infrastructure for a commodity-like purchase.
- IT must put the time and effort into current and future requirements gathering for critical components of the data center to ensure the system can meet the needs of the business.
- Without conducting proper requirements gathering organizations often undersize or oversize UPS requirements leading to insufficient capacity and significant cost overrun due to misalignment with business needs.
- Despite added system and electricity costs, on-line double conversion systems are best for business and industrial applications. Seek a UPS system that is modular and scalable to fit current and future needs.
- Standby power is a costly, but necessary investment. The average organization spends $705 per kVA. Gather requirements to right-size standby power for the enterprise and avoid unnecessary costs.
- Info-Tech finds a strong correlation between difficulty gaining management buy-in, and the number of unplanned outages experienced. This critical component should be an easy sell to the business, meaning IT must build a stronger business case.
Impact and Result
- Organizations have gone beyond industry standards and discovered that they can get an additional 5 years on UPS, 2 years on batteries, and 7 years on generators when they implement routine maintenance and testing.
- Conduct requirements gathering and complete a detailed business impact analysis to identify the costs of downtime and gain management buy-in for this critical piece of infrastructure.
- Grays Harbor PUD
- New Mexico Dept of Health
- Home Box Office
- Jackson County
- Adur District Council
- Red Wing Shoe Company
- Excipio Consulting
- London Police Service
- SSAB North American Division
- 5 additional organizations contributed information to assist with the development of this solution set. Due to the sensitivity of the information, these contributors requested confidentiality.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Understand standby power
Identify and overcome common challenges associated with standby power.
Identify standby power requirements
Right-size standby power equipment.
Assess standby power options
Build the business case and choose the best solution for the business.
Understand the market for standby power
Determine criteria for selecting standby power vendors.
Implement standby power routine maintenance
Extend the useful life of standby power equipment.
Optimize and Consolidate SQL Server
Craft an End-to-End Data Center Consolidation Strategy to Maximize Benefits
Recover Data Center Space After IT Infrastructure Outsourcing
Build a Data Center
Renovate the Data Center
Move a Data Center
Develop a Co-location Strategy
Integrate Global Data Center Facilities
Take a Strategic Approach to Maximize the Benefits of Green IT
Develop a Global Network Strategy
Develop a Standby Power Strategy
Improve Data Center Energy Efficiency
Future-Proof the Data Center