- John Simpson, Enterprise Architect at Intel
- Peter Coppola, Associate Director Web Services/ Information Technology at Australian Catholic University
- 136 Professionals contributed information that assisted with the development of this solution set
- Organizations are seeing an influx of mobile devices in the workplace, and as a result, creating a mobile application may be necessary to keep employees engaged, and productive.
- Once an organization has decided to develop a mobile application, several challenges arise including: what the purpose of the app will be, whether to develop a native or web app, and which platforms, and form factors to develop.
- This solution set aims to aid organizations in making these tough decisions to develop the best possible application for their organization.
- Mobile devices are here to stay, and they are not radically different from previous development strategies.
- Three dimensions govern mobile development: form factor, platform, and application type.
- Native applications, though well catered to the specific hardware features of a mobile device, can be extremely costly and are not compatible across all devices; therefore, to best prepare for the future, develop a web app if possible.
Impact and Result
- First, establish if developing a mobile application is right for you. Then determine what the purpose would be, and who your end users are. This requirements gathering must be done prior to developing the actual application.
- Use the Enterprise Mobile Application Type Assessment Tool to determine if your organization should develop a native app, or a web app.
- Decide which form factors and platforms your organization will develop for – this choice should be based on which devices the users have, and on the cost-constraints of the organization.
1. Determine if developing a mobile application is right for you
Get direction for how to tackle the mobile application space.
2. Choose: native or web app?
Develop a web app to best prepare for the future, and to save money.
3. Decide which form factors and platforms to develop
Develop only for the platforms and form factors you need, but don’t miss out on market share.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.