The information classification scheme provides a framework for applying standards of care to information assets, based on their value and/or risk to the organization. Once you’ve established your classification levels, use this policy template to document the following:
- Key terms pertaining to your classification scheme.
- The scope of the classification scheme (i.e. which information domains fall under the purview of the ILM program).
- The roles and responsibilities that are involved in the implementation of the information classification scheme.
- The levels in your classification scheme and the standards of care that will be applied to information assets.
- How the policy will be enacted and compliance guidelines.