- 9 organizations contributed information to assist with the development of this solution set. Due to the sensitivity of the information, all contributors requested confidentiality.
- Regardless of version deployed, enterprises are finding out the hard way that SharePoint won’t govern itself.
- SharePoint’s explosive popularity has often meant that planning has taken a backseat to deployment, and many enterprises find themselves in a Wild West environment.
- Without sufficient planning, SharePoint is often used recklessly if at all.
- SharePoint will become a mission critical application, with or without you. If you’re not prepared, disaster is only a matter of time.
- Governing SharePoint is not just throwing a team together or rehashing old policies. Design and configuration of SharePoint is a key responsibility for modern IT Business Analysts.
- Develop a strategy around architecture, security, maintenance, storage planning, development, and policies; the sooner the better. Ideally this should be well before deployment, but can still be done years later if necessary.
- Don’t let additional governance needs deter you from using SharePoint 2010; with more requirements comes more included governance functionality.
Impact and Result
- Proper SharePoint governance is a mandatory activity if you want SharePoint to be and stay functional.
- On completion of the work outlined in this solution set, you will have the tools to begin developing and implementing a SharePoint governance strategy appropriate to your enterprise.
1. Understand the value of SharePoint governance and options available
Develop a data integration strategy.
2. Develop a SharePoint governance strategy
Bring order to a chaotic SharePoint environment.
3. Assess your governance maturity
Determine which Governance activities to undertake.
4. Create a SharePoint governance plan
Establish a framework and responsibilities for governance activities.
5. Design a SharePoint information architecture
Create an optimal structure for SharePoint content.
6. Determine user permissions
Establish document security parameters.
7. Audit SharePoint governance annually
Ensure your governance strategy fits with actual use cases.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.