Tweaking the LAN to optimize network performance is an opportunity that is often overlooked by resource-strapped IT departments. As enterprises become increasingly reliant on the corporate network, and more demanding services and applications are carried on over the LAN, the status quo might not be good enough.
This research note describes five techniques that enterprises can apply to the LAN design to improve performance and prepare for future demands, including:
- Proactively monitoring the LAN.
- Optimizing network segmentation.
- Implementing Quality of Service (QoS).
- Implementing or optimizing intelligent routing.
- Selectively adding capacity.
Unfortunately, LAN equipment is not yet intelligent enough to self-optimize, so the burden falls on IT to keep the LAN operating at peak performance.