Effectively Manage Data Governance
Convert the management of organizational data from a burden into a competitive advantage.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: October 31, 2012
- Lack of buy-in- Attaining buy-in and support applies to every organization, large or small.
- Decision making authority- Data governance cannot work unless a team of key stakeholders steps up and takes accountability for organizational data decisions.
- Incremental approach- Data governance is best rolled out in phases, addressing one pain point.
- Effectively managing change management- Both business and IT processes must be changed.
- Ensure your business case highlights the proactive benefits of a data governance program to keep executives and key stakeholders engaged.
- A data governance initiative should address policies, standards, and processes for data management.
- A dedicated data management team must be charged with the task of creating and enforcing those policies and procedures to exert greater control over the way data is manipulated.
- Ensuring your organization has a formal change management policy will improve acceptance of your organization’s data governance initiative from the business.
Impact and Result
- Secure buy-in by creating a compelling business case to highlight the benefits and advantages of data governance.
- Create Data Governance Steering Committee and/or Data Owner and Steward roles for the effective design and management of governance policies, processes, and standards.
- Launch a data governance initiative using a phased approach. This enables the governance team to measure success, and provide positive feedback to the business.
- Communicate change effectively to encourage support and participation from both key stakeholders, and all other staff impacted by data governance.
Get to Action
Understand data governance, its best practices, and the challenges associated with them
Establish which best practices will generate the highest results for your organization’s data governance initiative.
Determine your organization's state of readiness
Evaluate your organization’s readiness to launch a data governance program.
Track and plan formal communication events for the organization's data governance program
Create awareness of the data governance program, encourage acceptance and support of the initiative, and reduce staff resistance to change.
Create a Data Steward role for managing and improving data
Drive greater accountability for data integrity.
Set up a Data Governance Steering Committee
Set up a steering committee charter for the oversight of data governance program initiatives.
Related Solution Sets
Companies Who Helped
- Holland Bloorview Kid’s Rehabilitation Hospital
- San Diego Zoo
- New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
- University System of Georgia
- Meridian Health
- Organic Valley
- Beca Applied Technologies