Build a Content Creation Ecosystem
Support content creation anytime, any place, and on any device.
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Microsoft Office is used throughout the organization for content creation, distribution, and consumption.
- Deployed company wide, Office can be an expensive investment and an unnecessary drain on company resources for users that have little need for productivity suite software.
- Alternatives to Office exist, but there are many to choose from and the needs of individuals vary throughout the organization.
- Office 365 is a game changer. Organizations can take advantage of tiered licensing to get employees the features they need, rather than deploying full functionality to every employee.
- Improvements in functionality in open source office suites, like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, mean organizations can distribute a free alternative to employees with smaller content creation needs.
- Bring-Your-Own brings new opportunities to build a content creation ecosystem by introducing the office suites most suited to employee needs.
Impact and Result
- Focus on appropriate access for the majority of users. Organizations where documents are only for internal use can consider a hybrid on-premise/cloud environment that may include low cost alternatives.
- Ensure that tablets are a consideration in your long-term productivity strategy. The core issue for end users is not Office, it’s access on tablets. Not supporting these devices will decrease productivity and introduce non-compliance with corporate policy.
Evaluate user needs against alternative office suite functionality
Define user needs, focus on key productivity tasks, and consider all potential impacts.
Asess the best fit for extending your productivity to mobile devices
Assess who is creating content, the role of documents in revenue, and the role of cloud in IT's larger strategy, then combine the assessment into a strategy.
Understand content sharing to optimize your productivity ecosystem
Document internal and external document sharing patterns, and prioritize end-user needs.
Build a productivity ecosystem
Define necessary features for extending your productivity ecosystem, and build a plan for moving forward.