Reduce Email Volume
Recovering from email addiction starts with recognizing the problem.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: January 23, 2013
- Enterprises are finding that email volume is overwhelming workers.
- Enterprises want to reduce the email volume, but not get rid of email.
- Email volume is not only just an annoyance: it is a stress that is killing both workers and the bottom line.
- Cultural change is the key. Enterprises that are going to reduce email need to realign their communication from the top down. Complex factors including performance evaluation, knowledge transfer, and policy announcements need to have a structured plan of attack.
- Part of the problem is the perception that enterprise social tools are not ready for deployment. They are ready to be part of the solution to the email problem.
- Build the communication strategy that fits your organization by piloting a email intervention.
Impact and Result
- Acknowledge that email is a problem.
- Understand how it is ruining your health.
- Evaluate the alternative methods of enterprise communication.
- Build a plan to reduce email.
- Understand the technologies that should be part of your long term communication strategy.
- Anand Kochunny, Knowledge Management officer, DBH, New Zealand
- Eric Reo, ADS Pipes
- Alex Graham, Horizon Pipeline
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.
BONUS Get access to up to 5 additional free downloadsDownload Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Understand how email is a problem
Get a clearer idea of where the challenges lie.
Reduce email in the organization
Create a better balance in my communication.
Start a email reduction project
Determine a plan for how to implement changes.
Test the pilot program
Gain a clear understanding of what changes will reduce email overload.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.