Find Information in the Enterprise
Being able to do so, and do it well, is critical to the success of your business.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: November 29, 2012
- The glut of information in the enterprise is making it increasingly difficult to find the right information when it’s needed. This strips away productivity.
- Search technology alone will not alleviate the problem. Processes must be put in place to improve how information is organized at a document level.
- Managing information properly requires a unique skill set. Organizations need to hire the right knowledge managers and provide the right training to ensure information findability.
- Proper end-user training differentiates successful findability projects from unsuccessful ones.
- Proof-of-concept testing and dedicated project management are critical for successful implementation of Enterprise Search.
- Open source search tools are a great option for cost constrained organizations who want to implement Enterprise Search. They may require more time investment than premium tools to operationalize.
- Search tools require periodic maintenance and tuning to continue to perform properly.
- Search alone will not solve your findability problems. Proper information organization practices are key.
- Your content is a strategic asset. Employ information curators to protect it and enable its use.
- Findability is not a one-and-done project. All aspects of improving findability require continued attention.
Impact and Result
- Understand how the enterprise context impacts your ability to find information.
- Learn how people in your organization manage information and how to support them.
- Develop and implement information organization processes to support findability.
- Know how technology can help you improve the findability of information in your organization.
- Get to action, take the first steps to improving findability.
Get to Action
Develop a strategy for information organization that is sustainable and promotes findability
Increase knowledge worker efficiency and productivity and reduce frustration.
Develop a content retention and disposition schedule
Ensure that the right information is kept, extraneous information is discarded, and enterprise records remain tidy.
Related Solution Sets
Companies Who Helped
- Intranet Focus
- BMO Financial Group
- US Navy
- 20 other Professionals