Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
Make sure you have the right passengers on board.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- Many organizations contemplate forming an IT steering committee to better align IT investments with business strategy, but most don't know where to start.
- Without clear tasks and objectives, and strong executive participation, IT steering committees are doomed to be ineffective and short lived.
- This solution set will help you build the case for IT steering, focus your IT steering objectives, and get your steering committee started on the right track.
- IT steering committees are unsuccessful when there is a lack of real decision making authority and representation on the body. If you don't have executive participation, don't bother.
- The most effective IT steering committees are kept small and meet monthly. IT must be prepared to adopt the role of enabler or facilitator, not owner or sponsor.
Impact and Result
- Identify the key governance activities in which IT steering committees can deliver real enterprise value - and which activities are best left to other teams.
- Recognize common real world pitfalls so that you can successfully design and run an IT steering committee that works - and lasts.
Five organizations contributed information to assist with the development of this solution set. Due to the sensitivity of the information, all contributors requested confidentiality.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Establish an effective IT steering committee
Build the case for IT steering; focus your IT steering objectives and get your steering committee on track.
Build the case for IT steering
Communicate the value of a cross-functional IT decision making team.
Focus your IT steering objectives
Emphasize the committee's role in IT strategy and investment decisions.
Get your steering committee on track
Define the mandate and tasks of the new IT steering committee.
Align IT with the Real End Customer
Decode the Corporate Strategy
Transfer IT Knowledge Before It’s Gone
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Navigate the IT Stakeholder Landscape
Make the Case for the Hybrid IT Operating Model
Make IT a Partner in a Successful Merger or Acquisition
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Define Your Strategy
Establish the Benefits Realization Process