Assess the Appropriateness of Automated Functional Testing
Automated functional testing tools. A life-vest for some, and an anchor for others.
- Automating functional testing can improve software quality for the right shop.
- The cost of automation tools and ongoing maintenance can outweigh the benefits.
- This solution set will help you identify whether functional testing automation is right for your team.
- Automating functional testing improves quality, but does not replace the need for testers or reduce quantifiable development costs.
- Functional testing can be done without automation tools. In fact, 56% of shops polled don't automate testing and of those, 65% have no interest in doing so.
- Don't blame failure on the tools. Client's reported that even the top of the line testing tools require high configuration and test case maintenance.
Impact and Result
- Avoid wasted efforts on automation by learning whether your team and application portfolio is a good fit for the team.
- Get a head start on building a case for automation with cost estimates, ROI calculators and cases that demonstrate implementation efforts.
- Avoid potential damage to your QA process by learning about the uses and limitations of functional automation tools from your peers.
Separate hope from vendor hype
Quantify the risks, benefits and pitfalls of functional testing automation.