Vendor Landscape: Mid-Market Project Portfolio Management
Managing project portfolios and the work that impacts them.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: November 21, 2012
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Business simply doesn’t happen in a perfect, orderly, predictable way. We need the right tools to manage the uncertainty.
- IT is expected to keep tabs on hundreds of projects happening at any given moment – to provide snapshots both of where the projects are now and how they look over time.
- What’s needed is a robust, accounting-like system to keep track of all the work that is (and isn’t) being done-- an accounting system for hours instead of dollars.
- Mid-Market PPM solutions are increasingly managing the work people actually do on an hourly basis, such as reactive and ad hoc tasks that inevitably take resources and time away from pre-determined projects.
- Leading Mid-Market PPM solutions employ social user interfaces to encourage team adoption and real-time collaboration. Solutions still have core PPM functions, such as Gantt charts, but those coexist with features designed first and foremost to help team members manage their own workflow from the bottom up.
- Top-down visibility, resource planning, and optimization will be exercises in futility without adoption to ensure hours are logged accurately. It is absolutely critical to understand how the tool will align with the processes and goals of every user and stakeholder in the organization.
Impact and Result
- Understand today’s Mid-Market PPM market, where it’s going, and what its leading vendors are doing.
- Evaluate the relative strengths and possible trade-offs of each solution.
- Identify the solution best suited to your organization’s unique PPM needs.
Get to Action
Evaluate the leading Mid-Market PPM vendors and solutions
Understand the market, where it's going, and what your options are.
Identify the solutions that best fit your organization's needs
Develop a shortlist to speed the selection process.