Focus on Project Management Essentials
For successful projects, focus on the essentials.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: February 11, 2010
- Satisfaction with IT project outcomes is very low.
- Effective project management is critical yet organizations resist it.
- It seems excessively complex and many believe it requires high effort or expense.
Clear success criteria, a capable project manager, high level planning of activities and resources, and an active approach to managing progress are more important than formalized frameworks, certified project managers or complex software.
Impact and Result
This solution set will help you:
• Understand the Project Management Essentials.
• Implement the essentials to improve project success rate.
• Provide tools and templates for successful project planning, monitoring, and communication.
Get to Action
Understand the essentials
Improve project success with minimal pain or change.
Develop a project plan and track progress
Ensure adequate project progress tracking and accountability.
Conduct a project kick-off meeting
Ensure understanding of team member responsibilities to create consistent stakeholder expectations.
Manage progress and update plan
Ensure that the project progresses well.
Keep management informed
Ensure that the organization is ready to leverage the results.