Improve Value & Mitigate Risk through IT Governance
Take the guesswork out of IT decision-making.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: August 2, 2011
- IT leaders are under considerable pressure to improve the business value of IT’s activities and decision-making. Clear IT investment and process goals, process measurement, repeatability and consistency, and compliance with internal corporate policies and external regulations are required to do so.
- IT struggles to get business support and involvement in IT governance issues.
- IT leaders must find ways to improve processes. These improvements require oversight and input from senior business and IT management to align IT decisions and activities with organizational goals to manage risk and deliver value.
- The business relies on IT to enable day-to-day operations and information access, yet less than 50% of senior management is involved in IT decision-making. IT stands alone when it comes to delivering IT value and decisions.
- Four major governance process areas (IT Investment, Project, Service Delivery, and Risk Management) are key to aligning IT decision-making, value delivery, and business strategy. Improving governance of these processes creates a culture of joint business and IT accountability for IT decision-making.
- IT leaders know improvements are needed, but they require tools and advice that will help them make the needed enhancements to critical decision-making processes.
Impact and Result
- Assess the organization’s ability to govern the four key process areas. IT leaders can determine where gaps exist, identify appropriate actions, create a roadmap for improving IT governance, and influence business decision makers to participate in IT governance.
- Identify the areas of greatest concern, as well as which process areas will benefit from better governance.
- Identify current governance structures for the four key governance process areas. Highlight gaps that exist between how IT decisions are made now and how they should be made.
- Create a roadmap to make the process improvements that will improve governance, provide better alignment with business goals, and enable better IT value delivery.
- Douglas Omaha Technology Commission
- City of London
- NWT Provincial Government
- Devon Kerr, IT Director, Peckar and Abramson
- Kindred Healthcare
- Tegrit Group
- Republic Bank Limited
- Navigant Consulting
- Hayes Management Consulting
- Intact Financial Group
- Department of Personnel Administration Government of California State
- LogicNet Training & Consulting Services Inc.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Implement IT Governance
Improve IT decision-making to justify IT investment and to achieve superior business results.
Assess implemented controls & checkpoints to ensure IT risk is understood and managed
Balance acceptable risk against expected value in all decisions related to IT activity.
Make joint IT/business decisions for prioritizing and allocating funding & resources to IT-enabled initiatives
Achieve maximum business value for discretionary IT investment.
Determine project progress, when to proceed through gates, and corrective actions for escalated issues
Improve project success through effective mitigation of issues and risks.
Evaluate system performance metrics & customer feedback to decide where to improve IT service
Ensure IT services are business-focused, reliable, and cost effective.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Decode the Real Corporate Strategy
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Navigate the IT Stakeholder Landscape
Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
Make the Case for the Hybrid IT Operating Model
Make IT a Partner in a Successful Merger or Acquisition
Move to a Stable & Controlled IT Department
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Overcome the Barriers to Good Requirements Management
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Improve Value & Mitigate Risk through IT Governance
Ensure Compliance with External Regulations
Evaluate and Optimize Internal Controls
Establish an Effective PMO for IT
Develop a Knowledge Management Strategy
Decode the Corporate Strategy