Access this Note and more by filling out your information.
When you register you will also receive:
- A Free Trial Membership which provides additional free research and help on your projects
- Access to survey data, contribute to our research, community involvement and much more
The small enterprise data center now has a wide choice of x64-based mid-range servers from which to choose. In the North American market, the Tier 1 vendors in mid-range servers include Dell, HP, IBM, and Sun. The product differentiation has virtually disappeared since these vendors all utilize the same x64-based processors and offer a wide range of hardware options. To select a server, the enterprise must now consider not just the hardware options, but more nebulous features.
This note discusses the mid-range servers offered by these vendors for quick reference and comparison. In addition, it discusses the differentiators between the vendors in their offerings, such as:
- Power and Cooling Management.
- High Availability Configuration.
- Remote Support Capabilities.
- Service and Support.
Each vendor offers some level of options in all of these areas, so even here the mid-range server market is becoming commoditized. This provides the SME greater choice and greater control over the server selection process.