Vendor Landscape Plus: Server Virtualization
Enable server efficiency and cost savings from consolidation to internal cloud.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: May 3, 2011
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- While VMware remains the market share leader in the server virtualization market, competitors have emerged with attractive alternatives, making it all the more important to evaluate all alternatives.
- Server virtualization, for many organizations, is moving beyond basic consolidation into a more managed virtual environment, which is where differentiation among vendors really begins.
- Focus on business requirements. The first step in selecting a server virtualization vendor is to determine the functionality that your organization requires to meet the business needs, or to justify an investment in server virtualization.
- Consider future requirements. VMware leads innovation around building a utility infrastructure (or internal cloud). However, Citrix also has a clear vision for future development, and Microsoft is now moving beyond basic internal cloud functionality. If current or future needs involve internal cloud, VMware & Citrix are safe choices.
- Go for good enough. Align current and future requirements with the capabilities and solution feature-sets of vendors. While VMware is the market leader, its higher cost makes it critical to assess whether an alternative vendor can meet your organization’s needs.
Impact and Result
- Virtualization first-timers should start with free hypervisors to achieve basic server partitioning and consolidation, and to gain experience with virtualization.
- Management tools come at a price but are needed to take virtualization efforts to a higher level (e.g. disaster recovery goals).
- Vendors eventually want to lead enterprises up the path to the cloud; server virtualization is a key enabler of cloud initiatives.
- The Borough of Freehold Public Schools
- Boston Pizza
- Dillon Consulting Limited
- Farm Credit Services Central Illinois
- Horsley Bridge
- Intermountain Electronics
- Management Concepts Inc
- Vinfen Corporation
- WEC Health Unit
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.
BONUS Get access to up to 5 additional free downloadsDownload Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Narrow down a list of server virtualization vendors
Develop a virtualized infrastructure that will meet current and future requirements.
Estimate potential cost savings for consolidation
Determine if server virtualization is a worthwhile investment.
Compare leading vendors and develop a shortlist
Narrow the leading vendors down to the most appropriate few.
Contrast and evaluate a shortlist of vendors
Select the right server virtualization vendor.
Compare hardware and virtualization software scenarios
Balance maximum capacity with lowest TCO.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Select a Blade Server Platform
Vendor Landscape: Converged Systems
Get the Most out of Server Virtualization
Avoid Server Virtualization Implementation Pain
Leverage Server Virtualization for DR Affordability and Agility
Vendor Landscape: Server Virtualization
Build an Optimized Infrastructure-as-a-Service Internal Cloud
Build a Server Acquisition Strategy for the Internal Cloud
Manage & Plan Capacity for the Internal Cloud
Power the IaaS Cloud with a Cloud Management Solution
Assess the Appropriateness of the iSeries/IBM i in My Business
Maximize the Value of IBM Mainframes in My Business
Vendor Landscape: Systems Management
Vendor Landscape: Application Delivery Controllers
Vendor Landscape: Cloud Management