Overcome the Barriers to Good Requirements Management
In the recipe for good requirements management, IT adds the special sauce.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: May 21, 2010
- IT needs to understand the needs and requirements of the business in order to deliver value.
- Many organizations face a disconnect between the requirements as defined by the business and IT's ability to deliver value based on those requirements. The result is poor project quality, overruns and rework.
- This solution set will help IT leaders understand the characteristics of an organization effective at requirements management, provide the tools to enable effective requirements gathering and ensure project success by enabling IT to adopt the role of solution advisor.
- This solution set will help IT management identify pain points, and their impacts (time and money), encountered in requirements management for small to large projects in simple and complex environments.
- We will provide tactical solutions in the form of tools and templates as well as recommendations and examples from real case studies of organizations that have overcome these problems.
- We will deliver advice to CIOs for how to build the capabilities and structure for good requirements management within their organization.
Impact and Result
- IT has a chronic problem understanding business needs and requirements, and helping the business to identify what they really need as opposed to what they think they want.
- This lack of understanding translates into poor project quality, project overruns, and rework. IT's reputation also suffers. In the eyes of the business, IT just can't get it right.
- The longer term effects are loss of credibility and inability to get stakeholder buy-in for IT initiatives.
- In order to achieve true alignment with the business, it is vital for IT to not just walk through a step-by-step process, but to take responsibility for assessing whether or not business requirements will deliver sufficient business value.
Get to Action
Overcome the barriers to effective requirements management
Understand the importance of effective business requirements management and the characteristics of organizations that do this well through case studies and lessons learned.
Document business requirements accurately and effectively
Enable validation and assessment of requirements and ensure project success.
Employ a business analyst to bridge the gap between IT and the business
Understand how the business operates and their project requirements.
Manage changing requirements
Control scope creep and manage requirements conflicts.