Vendor Landscape: Web Content Filters
Protect your network from threats coming in and getting out.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: June 20, 2012
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Picking the right Web Content Filter (WCF) for an SME is less about features and more about usability and affordability. These products are mainly commoditized, so the true differentiation between products is how intuitive operating the tool is, and how well it fits into a budget.
- It is possible to find a WCF solution that is not a tremendous investment and also a strong product. The market is truly competitive in these areas, with some standing out more than others.
- WCF has existed since the 1990s. Since then the products have increased the granularity of their controls on new threat areas like social media. These tools now allow administrators to drill down into employee usage of apps on websites such as Facebook, and micro-block content like stopping the use of individual games.
- Another key growth area in WCF solutions is they acknowledge that employees are becoming more remote than ever, but they still require the same protection. Remote filtering is now an important advanced feature.
Impact and Result
- While WCF solutions have become similar in their feature sets, enterprises must still consider support options and vendor stability when evaluating these products. It is imperative that the products be updated on a regular basis through support, and with such a commoditized product, enterprises should consider aligning themselves with a more established vendor.
- Info-Tech’s framework for selecting a delivery method and short-listing vendors will help you save time by ensuring you only evaluate the vendors that fit the organization’s WCF needs.
Get to Action
Related Solution Sets
Companies Who Helped
- Anita Orozco
- SRC Attorneys
- Grazyna Prouty
- ICM Corp.
- Mailmen Inc.