Vendor Landscape: Systems Management
Today's complex data centers are driving more sophisticated systems management solutions.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: March 8, 2012
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Increasingly complex heterogeneous IT environments have created strong demand for solutions that can centralize and simplify infrastructure systems management.
- Vendors are meeting the challenge by providing a vast array of solutions that cover everything from system monitoring to automated provisioning/capacity management to analytics-driven capacity planning.
- However, all-encompassing solutions come with a high price tag. Organizations must carefully consider which features are must-haves and pick the vendor that provides the best functionality/price fit for their requirements.
- Use the organization’s process maturity, not size, to determine requirements. A small IT shop with 50 servers and 5 IT staff faces the same time constraints and can benefit from automation as much as an IT shop with 500 servers and 50 IT staff.
- Highly mature organizations will benefit from solutions that can enforce process compliance and improve efficiency through automated provisioning/capacity management and advanced capacity planning.
- For less-mature organizations that are starting on the path to maturity, all-encompassing solutions are overkill. Solutions that focus on monitoring and incident management are a better fit.
Impact and Result
- Evaluate solutions based on a wide range of features now available in the systems management market.
- Compare based on functionality and price to find the right fit for your organization.
- Understand where the market is going and who the major players are in this space.
Get to Action
Evaluate Systems Management vendors and available solutions
Understand the Systems Management market, the players, and their products.
Identify the solutions that best fit your needs
Develop a customized shortlist to speed solution selection.