Vendor Landscape: Mobile Development Platforms
Ride the mobile wave while reducing fragmentation with an all-in-one MDP.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: June 26, 2012
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Mobile proliferation has created costly fragmentation. iOS, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone are all popular with consumers.
- This poses a challenge for developers: they’re forced to choose between selecting one platform for development or investing in costly parallel development efforts.
- Mobile Development Platform (MDP) vendors help solve the conundrum of fragmentation by providing solutions that allow developers to "code once, deploy many" to multiple mobile platforms.
- Organizations that are heavily involved in mobile app development should adopt an MDP to allow them to reach the largest possible app market at the lowest possible cost.
- MDP feature sets are highly commoditized, with pricing and vendor attributes forming more relevant selection criteria.
Impact and Result
- Understand the features and business benefits of using an MDP to support mobile development efforts.
- Determine functional requirements based on organizational needs to focus product evaluation on the right criteria.
- Understand the current state of the MDP market to evaluate and select a vendor that best meets the organization’s requirements.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Evaluate MDP vendors and available solutions
Understand the MDP market, the players, and their products.
Compare leading vendors and develop a shortlist
Narrow down the leading vendors to the most appropriate few.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Enter Into Mobile Development Without Confusion and Frustration
Implement Agile Practices That Work
Reduce Churn and Improve an Existing Software Development Practice
Optimize Existing Applications for Security in an Untrusted World
Use PaaS to Decrease Ongoing Application Maintenance Costs
Increase the Performance of Critical Mobile Applications
Choose the Right Tools for Big Data Development
Optimize the Application Maintenance Estimation (AME) Process
Vendor Landscape: Application Development Tools
Choose a Mobile Development Strategy
Create an Effective Web Redesign Strategy
Protect RIA Strategy from Atrophy
Drive Web Traffic with Search Engine Optimization
Develop a Position on Cloud Platform as a Service
Manage a SharePoint Customization & Development Team
Vendor Landscape: Application Lifecycle Management
Understand the Microsoft Partner Network
Vendor Landscape: Mobile Enterprise Application Platforms
Get Ready for Application Development Outsourcing
Refine Project & Maintenance Estimating Best Practices
Optimize the Maturity of Your Application Select & Build Processes
Automate the Development Process to Improve Traceability, App Quality, and Throughput
Optimize Enterprise SDLC for Agile
Improve SOA App Quality by Creating a Comprehensive Test Plan
Take an Agile Approach to Optimize and Scale Out Agile to Other Teams
Adopt DevOps to Enhance the Speed and Quality of Code Releases
Create an Open Source Software Strategy & Policy