- Andrew Marshall, independent Identity Architect
- Fischer International Identity
- Queen’s University
- Western University
- Most organizations are managing their identities improperly.
- Not pursuing an identity and access management (IAM) strategy will cost your organization more in the end, and leaves it vulnerable to potential attacks.
- Organizations need to understand the options available to them for identity and access management – each organization has a unique path to an IAM strategy.
- There is a lot of value in implementing an IAM solution, from cost-savings to increased security.
- Full IAM solutions may not be for everyone – yet. Staying with SSO or Federated Identity can be enough for your requirements, but you must evolve eventually.
- Be prepared to embrace the Cloud. As more applications are delivered through the Cloud, cloud-based and cloud-aware IAM services take on increased importance.
Impact and Result
- Understand your organization’s priorities in terms of identity and access management: is it user experience over security, or vice versa? Eventually you need to be looking at combining both priorities.
- Maximize your cost-savings and your security by taking advantage of cloud-based IAM services.
1. Understand why IAM must matter to you
Understand why IAM is important and the next steps needed to grow your strategy.
2. Establish your IAM objectives
Understand where your organization is positioned and where it needs to go to set up a full IAM solution.
3. Prepare your IAM strategy for the Cloud
Determine what Cloud IAM steps to take.
This guided implementation is a four call advisory process.
Call #1 - Plan your route to IAM success
Discuss IAM options, decide which steps should be taken and when, and where to start. Review the IAM Decision Tree.
Call #2 - Explore IAM options
Decide if Federated Identity or Single Sign-On is for you. Understand current options and determine a strategy.
Call #3 - Review advanced options
Review different approaches towards the cloud. Map your thought models to determine what extent of cloud services will meet your requirements.
Call #4 - Create an IAM policy
Discuss options for your IAM Policy including appropriate use, instructions for documentation, and preparation for audits.