Access this Note and more by filling out your information.
When you register you will also receive:
- A Free Trial Membership which provides additional free research and help on your projects
- Access to survey data, contribute to our research, community involvement and much more
Data Protection and Recovery Management (DPRM) has evolved out of backup reporting tools. At the basic level, backup reporting tools were for straight-up reporting on the success or failure of backup. DPRM has grown to include the following functionality:
- Event notification. Goes beyond standard pass/fail reporting to show more detailed alerts and warnings to identify backup failure points. These events can often be automatically forwarded via e-mail to designated parties.
- Capacity planning. Gives the backup administrator a better picture of the state of the storage. Shows how much space is available and how quickly it will need to be expanded.
- Utilization. Reveals which individuals or business units are using (or abusing) storage capacity. This view allows IT to reign in the “storage hogs” (as Servergraph puts it).
- Compliance and Service Level Agreement (SLA) tracking. Tracks if backups are in compliance with regulatory restrictions and internal SLAs. Also tracks progress and improvements in meeting compliance and SLA goals over time.
- Predictive analysis. Probably the most significant area of growth. DPRM solutions map usage peaks and data growth in order to forecast impending problems. Beyond basic capacity planning, predictive analysis can extrapolate timelines regarding storage space availability, backup anomalies and other issues that may arise, by analyzing historical trends.