Adopt 10 Universal Enterprise Architecture Principles
Create a foundation of shared beliefs for guiding the use of IT in constructing, transforming, and operating your organization.
Please note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
Without EA principles:
- IT management decisions are guided by either employees’ personal preferences or assumptions on how these decisions should be made.
- Ineffective decision making and higher governance effort required to control and correct decisions.
- Succinctly communicate the organization’s intent as to the use of IT in building, transforming, and operating the enterprise and provide a foundation of shared beliefs that guide IT decision making across the organization.
- Represent a key component of IT governance and should guide the development of domain-specific policies (e.g. security policy, procurement policy) that elaborate on particular implications of principles in specific process areas.
- Understand EA principles.
- Create an EA Principles Group Charter Document.
- Identify strategic themes.
- Understand what makes a good EA.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Deep understanding of EA principles.
- Charter document completed, making sure everyone is on the same page.
- Strategic themes identified.
- List of principles defined.
||“Fireside” chat about EA principles.
- Confirmed workshop agenda and goals.
||Draft EA Principles Group charter document.
||Identify key strategic themes for business and IT.
- EA Principles Group charter draft.
- Prioritize candidate EA principles by importance and relevance.
- Generate rationale ideas for EA principles.
- Generate implication ideas for EA principles.
- Create a communication plan for EA principles.
- Define next steps to implement EA principles across the organization and make them followed.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of the importance/relevance of your EA principles.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the rationale and implications of EA principles.
- Understanding of how to proceed.
||Define rationales and implications for EA prinicples.
||Create a communication plan for EA principles.
- EA principles communication plan.
||Create an operationalization roadmap to implement EA principles and make them followed.