Adopt 10 Universal Enterprise Architecture Principles
Create a foundation of shared beliefs for guiding the use of IT in constructing, transforming, and operating your organization.
Without EA principles:
- IT management decisions are guided by either employees’ personal preferences or assumptions on how these decisions should be made.
- Ineffective decision making and higher governance effort required to control and correct decisions.
- Succinctly communicate the organization’s intent as to the use of IT in building, transforming, and operating the enterprise and provide a foundation of shared beliefs that guide IT decision making across the organization.
- Represent a key component of IT governance and should guide the development of domain-specific policies (e.g. security policy, procurement policy) that elaborate on particular implications of principles in specific process areas.
Module 1: Define Candidate EA Principles
- Understand EA principles.
- Create an EA Principles Group Charter Document.
- Identify strategic themes.
- Understand what makes a good EA.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Deep understanding of EA principles.
- Charter document completed, making sure everyone is on the same page.
- Strategic themes identified.
- List of principles defined.
|1.1||“Fireside” chat about EA principles.||
|1.2||Draft EA Principles Group charter document.||
|1.3||Identify key strategic themes for business and IT.||
Module 2: Elaborate EA Principles and Define Next Steps
- Prioritize candidate EA principles by importance and relevance.
- Generate rationale ideas for EA principles.
- Generate implication ideas for EA principles.
- Create a communication plan for EA principles.
- Define next steps to implement EA principles across the organization and make them followed.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of the importance/relevance of your EA principles.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the rationale and implications of EA principles.
- Understanding of how to proceed.
|2.1||Define rationales and implications for EA prinicples.||
|2.2||Create a communication plan for EA principles.||
|2.3||Create an operationalization roadmap to implement EA principles and make them followed.||