Market IT Like a Business
Build an effective internal marketing strategy to demonstrate IT's value and create emotional loyalty.
IT is often perceived as an order taker, and even when IT leaders make significant improvements in service and business satisfaction, they still struggle to improve their reputation. Building an effective internal marketing strategy will demonstrate IT’s value and create emotional loyalty in all members of the business.
- Actively demonstrating the value of IT. Marketing provides an avenue to demonstrate the value of IT, moving IT from being perceived as an order taker to a strategic partner.
- Marketing is not advertising. Many CIOs mistake marketing for advertising. Performing small advertising initiatives have the benefit of demonstrating the existence of IT, but they don’t necessarily demonstrate the value of IT.
- Marketing is often outside of the CIO’s skill set. IT leaders often lack the experience and time to effectively market their IT department to the business. The learning curve is steep and the creativity required can be daunting.
- Build a holistic marketing strategy using Info-Tech’s template. Take the stress and guesswork out of marketing and use this document to undertake the project and plan your campaigns.
- Understand your customer/user base using Info-Tech’s sample customer personae and customer journeys. Use these to map out IT’s touchpoints with users and how to effectively insert marketing collateral.
- Create compelling reports/infographics using Info-Tech’s customizable report template. Impress the business with attractive reports that are tailored to individual business units.
- Add to your CIO skill set using Info-Tech’s research. Demonstrating your business acumen and flexibility will put you on the promotion track.
Talk to our analyst about this Research
Be recognized for your expertise! Participate in an expert interview with one of our analysts and we will showcase your contribution on our upcoming Info-Tech Client Hall Of Fame.
Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour and provides you with the opportunity to share your best practices, opinions, tools or templates with your peers.