Manage the Budget to Optimize Security Spending
Balancing the cost of controls and processes with business critical functions can be a difficult task.
As security is becoming a growing concern for the business, more IT budget is being allocated to the space. In 2015, about 9.8% of IT budget went towards security. As a security leader, your job requires you to use the resources wisely, taking into account all aspects of costs and resourcing.
- Manage the complexity of the budget. Factoring in controls, processes, environments, business criticality, and initial and ongoing costs is essential to getting an accurate picture of costs and resources.
- Align the budget with business objectives. In 2014, an average of 28% of software was underutilized or not used at all, according to Osterman Research. Understand the importance of the controls/processes before allocating significant resources to it.
- Maximize the budget’s efficiency. Next step: Tie your budget to the mitigation effectiveness of security controls/processes to understand the overall efficiency of your security program.
- Our program helps CISOs and security leaders get visibility into their security spending in relation to business criticality.
- Our approach helps manage the complexity of budget analysis, factoring in all aspects up front to develop an easy-to-adjust budget plan.
- Our program allows for strategic planning and budget scenario testing in a safe environment. Will you be losing a member of your team? Do you have to cut costs by 5%? Play with different scenarios to figure out where to reallocate costs and resources.
- Our approach provides a means to optimize costs. See where consolidating solutions or taking controls off-premises may save costs and resources over times.
- Our program helps you prioritize your security initiatives based on the business criticality and available funding. Use the information to formalize your security roadmap.
Talk to our analyst about this Research
Be recognized for your expertise! Participate in an expert interview with one of our analysts and we will showcase your contribution on our upcoming Info-Tech Client Hall Of Fame.
Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour and provides you with the opportunity to share your best practices, opinions, tools or templates with your peers.