RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Getting the right help desk staff is critical.
- Hiring help desk staff with a balanced blend of customer service and tech skills is difficult.
- The wrong help desk staff can isolate users and damage IT's reputation.
- Getting the wrong person is expensive; replacing them is at least 30% of their annual salary.
- Hiring help desk people with the right attitude and customer service skills is more important than technical skill
- The help desk is IT's face to the business, put forward the best image possible
- Cutting help desk staff, while tempting, will render IT less productive overall
Impact and Result
- Effectively structure help desk resources to minimize cost while providing the necessary level of customer service
- Hire staff with the right blend of attitude, customer service and technical skill
- Intelligently trim help desk staff when times are tough
1. Assess current resource levels.
Understand optimal resource levels, skillsets and roles required to support desired service requirements.
2. Determine the optimal help desk staff ratio.
Maximize help desk customer service at minimal cost.
3. Staff the help desk.
Hire and retain the right help desk staff rather than a bunch of warm bodies.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.