Make the Decision to Upgrade to Microsoft Office 2010
Make sure that the suite upgrade doesn't go sour.
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Microsoft is releasing Office 2010. Organizations still at Office 2003 should upgrade and organizations at 2007 should not.
- However, many organizations dropped Office from Software Assurance and Enterprise Agreements, which means they do not own Office 2010. This is an opportunity to re-evaluate competing office suites.
- For the first time, Microsoft is releasing some Office 2010 applications with a "Web Apps" on-demand version, providing organizations with a choice of deployment options.
- This solution set will allow organizations to determine the most appropriate course of action for upgrading their office productivity suite.
- Fifty-seven percent of organizations are at Office 2003 or below. These are sunset technologies and organizations must evaluate upgrading to a newer product on the basis of continued support and security patches first, then evaluate new features.
- Forty-two percent of organizations at Office 2003 or below do not own Office 2010 yet. These organizations must re-evaluate competing office suites and consider switching.
- Office 2010 Web Apps are a game changer in the desktop productivity space. Organizations have an opportunity to mix on-demand and local installations of Office according to role-based scenarios.
Impact and Result
- Compare the scenarios of upgrading to Office 2010 versus remaining at Office 2007 or switching to an alternative suite.
- Understand the benefits and limitations of on-demand office products, like Google Apps and Office 2010 Web Apps.
- Architect the optimal office productivity application solution for the organization, from selecting a single vendor and a single deployment option to selecting multiple vendors and a mix of local installations and on-demand
Size up the new suite and your options
Decide whether upgrading to the new version or migrating to a different platform is the best course of action.
Compile a plan
Ensure a successful migration.