Vendor Landscape: Backup Software for Heterogeneous Environments
Be prepared for the future. Protect your past.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Increased virtualization requirements signify new challenges for meeting restore objectives while keeping costs down.
- A mobile workforce means that more and more critical data is being stored on laptops, desktops, and mobile devices. Some vendors now provide advanced features for administrators to protect and manage this data.
- Data sprawl has made it essential for solutions to efficiently manage and reduce data when possible, with compression and data deduplication technology.
- If the Cloud is part of your plans, be sure that your backup provider works with a vendor-provided or third-party platform that meets your needs.
- Carefully consider your Recovery Time Objectives (RTO) and Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and realistically evaluate what you can afford.
- As the market matures, vendors begin to differentiate themselves by accommodating variable client scenarios and providing a variety of pricing options.
Impact and Result
- Avoid overpaying for unnecessary advanced features. Buy according to enterprise requirements and existing investments.
- Backup solutions need to accommodate future data requirements as well as probable infrastructure changes. Fit the solution into your long-term data management strategy.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Narrow down a list of heterogeneous backup software vendors
Focus on investing in features that meet enterprise needs.
Compare leading vendors and develop a shortlist
Select the most suitable heterogeneous backup software vendor.
Create a Right-Sized Disaster Recovery Plan
Evaluate Cloud, Co-lo, and In-House DR Deployment Models
Optimize the DRP for Business-Critical Analytics
Reduce Costly Downtime Through DR Testing
Prepare for a DRP Audit
Optimize Backup Operations with a Recovery Services Plan
Create Visual SOP Documents that Drive Process Optimization, Not Just Peace of Mind
Develop a Business Continuity Plan
Implement Crisis Management Best Practices
Document and Maintain the Disaster Recovery Plan
Bridge the Gap between Service Management & Disaster Recovery
Review Continuity Plans to Deal with the Threat of Ebola
Predict System Failures and Performance Issues with Analytics