RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Dresser-Rand Company
- Appleton Papers, Inc.
An additional ten companies contributed to this research. Due to the sensitivity of the information, their identities will be kept confidential.
- Very few organizations have service desks that are optimized. Significant weaknesses of many organizations include low end-user satisfaction, high volumes of recurring issues, and poor backlog management.
- When making the case for service desk optimization initiatives, organizations face resistance and lack of buy-in from important stakeholders. The research presented in this solution set presents Info-Tech’s findings on the value of optimizing specific service desk processes, metrics, and channels.
- Service desk processes, metrics, and channels should be optimized in a holistic manner, boosting efficiencies across the board.
- When deciding on their target maturity goals, organizations should consider the costs required for optimization, the benefits associated with specific processes, as well as the process constraints specific to each organization.
- When adopting service desk improvements, routine maintenance activities are often ignored, which dilutes the value created by service desk optimization. Examples include ticket template maintenance, workflow development, and ticket classification.
Impact and Result
- If done right, service desk optimization will allow your service desk to improve the key performance indicators (KPIs), reduce cost per incident, and increase service desk capacity.
- However, not all processes and delivery channels are equally effective at achieving different results. Know which processes, metrics, and channels to target in order to realize your service desk’s goals.
1. Understand the value of service desk optimization
Decide on service desk maturity goals.
2. Assess service desk maturity and calculate the target value of optimization
Reinforce the service desk’s weak dimensions without undermining the strong ones.
3. Make the case for service desk optimization
Demonstrate the value of service desk optimization and gain buy-in from key stakeholders.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.