Develop a SharePoint Governance Strategy
Bring a Sheriff to the SharePoint Wild West
- Regardless of version deployed, enterprises are finding out the hard way that SharePoint won’t govern itself.
- SharePoint’s explosive popularity has often meant that planning has taken a backseat to deployment, and many enterprises find themselves in a Wild West environment.
- Without sufficient planning, SharePoint is often used recklessly if at all.
- SharePoint will become a mission critical application, with or without you. If you’re not prepared, disaster is only a matter of time.
- Governing SharePoint is not just throwing a team together or rehashing old policies. Design and configuration of SharePoint is a key responsibility for modern IT Business Analysts.
- Develop a strategy around architecture, security, maintenance, storage planning, development, and policies; the sooner the better. Ideally this should be well before deployment, but can still be done years later if necessary.
- Don’t let additional governance needs deter you from using SharePoint 2010; with more requirements comes more included governance functionality.
Impact and Result
- Proper SharePoint governance is a mandatory activity if you want SharePoint to be and stay functional.
- On completion of the work outlined in this solution set, you will have the tools to begin developing and implementing a SharePoint governance strategy appropriate to your enterprise.
Understand the value of SharePoint governance and options available
Develop a data integration strategy.
Develop a SharePoint governance strategy
Bring order to a chaotic SharePoint environment.
Assess your governance maturity
Determine which Governance activities to undertake.
Create a SharePoint governance plan
Establish a framework and responsibilities for governance activities.
Design a SharePoint information architecture
Create an optimal structure for SharePoint content.
Determine user permissions
Establish document security parameters.
Audit SharePoint governance annually
Ensure your governance strategy fits with actual use cases.