Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Enable IT innovation to achieve business goals.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- In turbulent economic times, organizations are increasingly looking for innovative ideas to drive top line growth or to take out cost.
- Effective IT leaders with a holistic view of the enterprise and knowledge of enabling technologies can establish themselves as visionary solution architects.
- However, IT is rarely seen in that role and is often expected to simply deliver more, faster, and with fewer resources.
- This solution set provides guidance and suggestions to establish an environment and reputation for innovation in your organization.
- Info-Tech identifies six key cultural preconditions for successful innovation in IT. IT leaders who want to spur innovation can save time and money by focusing on these six drivers of innovation success.
- Business buy-in
- Time and resources for innovation
- IT awareness of business strategy
- Diversity of experience
- Idea exchange
- Recognition of IT innovators
- Real innovation success means that IT helps the business achieve its strategic goals. Avoid the ‘black box’ approach to IT innovation, and get buy-in from the business.
- Achieving innovation success does not have to be expensive. Info-Tech recommends specific steps to achieve each cultural precondition, and many of the steps have only minimal cost for the IT department.
Impact and Result
- Your entire team will be looking for opportunities for innovative growth or cost savings.
- Rather than becoming worried and concerned over business uncertainties, staff will become more engaged with company success.
- Innovation will not be left to chance – increase the likelihood of surfacing new ideas and opportunities.
- Alghanim Industries
- Bupa Care Services
- Community Action Agency
- Elgin Community College
- Goodlife Fitness
- Griffith University
- Hallmark Solutions
- Hanover County
- Medisys Health Group
- Pembina Trails School Division
- Resource Interactive
- Young Presidents Organization
- Wakefield District Housing
- Wettenhalls Group
- Wilton Re
- An additional 10 companies contributed to this research. Due to the sensitivity of the information, their identities will be kept confidential.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Learn about the preconditions for IT innovation and the steps to achieve them
Build a culture of IT innovation.
Measure the cost of closing cultural gaps and plan an innovation roadmap
Improve IT innovation success as cost-effectively as possible.
Create an IT Sourcing Strategy
Create a Customer-Centric Digital Strategy
Define an IT Strategy and Roadmap
Inspire an IT-Led Revolution
Align IT with the Real End Customer
Become a Transformational CIO
Make IT a Partner in Successful M&A Due Diligence
Make IT a Successful Partner in M&A Integration
Establish an Effective PMO for IT
Establish the Benefits Realization Process
Transfer IT Knowledge Before It’s Gone
Tailor an IT Governance Plan to Fit Organizational Needs
Establish an Effective System of Internal IT Controls to Mitigate Risks
Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
2016 CIO Trend Report
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Simplify and Optimize Your IT Operating Model
Create a Comprehensive Digital Operating Model