Use SharePoint for Enterprise Content Management
Findability, taxonomies, and records management: It’s more expensive than you think.
- Many enterprises have access to SharePoint Foundation, but it’s not a full ECM solution.
- SharePoint can do anything, but not easily or well.
- ECM requires process discipline and robust technical infrastructure. Neither of these is cheap, despite SharePoint’s reputation as a “cheap and cheery” solution.
- SharePoint is an incomplete solution; it does some things very well but still lacks functionality for particular business uses.
- Extending SharePoint with third-party tools is an important component of SharePoint project success.
- End-user adoption is the critical component of SharePoint deployments. Without end-user interest, there is no ROI.
- Friends don’t let friends use SharePoint Foundation for ECM; it’s free the way puppies are free.
Impact and Result
- The storyboard gives examples of the ways in which SharePoint can be successfully deployed for ECM, and reasons why it can’t.
- It also provides details about the various cost items that IT administrators must consider and the challenges those administrators will face.
- The SharePoint deployment plan tool creates a customized deployment plan that highlights those areas that are most critical for a particular enterprise, helping IT leaders avoid common pitfalls.
- The SharePoint 2010 readiness assessment tool gives IT leaders guidance on whether or not they need to adopt SharePoint 2010.
Anticipate the challenges that I will face during my SharePoint ECM implementation
A fuller understanding of the strategy and cost of adapting SharePoint to ECM use.
Determine if the enterprise is ready for SharePoint 2010
A comprehensive view of my enterprise’s readiness for adopting SharePoint 2010.
Hire the right skills
The right hire for SharePoint design.
Create a SharePoint deployment plan
A plan for deploying SharePoint across my whole enterprise.
Put a process in place for creating metadata
Control of the content metadata to ensure usability.
Record metadata for describing documents
A library of metadata for enterprise use.
Document retention periods for records
A document lifecycle for my records in SharePoint 2010.