- Many organizations enter into outsourcing arrangements without understanding the inherent risks and the internal changes they will need to make to their own staffing, infrastructure, and policies to support the outsourced projects and keep them under control.
- When organizations decide to outsource application development, they are faced with various options, each with their own challenges, risks, and benefits. Deciding which method and which projects to outsource can be confusing.
- Outsourcing contract negotiations can be tricky, and many organizations neglect to include important checks and controls that allow them to maintain control of the project and ensure vendor accountability.
- It is easy to forget about projects that have been outsourced, but it is still the organization's responsibility to ensure the project succeeds. Organizations need to track project progress and have issue resolution processes in place.
- No application development outsourcing arrangement will be exactly like another. Offshore, onshore, and on-premise arrangements all present different advantages and challenges. IT managers need to understand the risks and match the arrangement with the project type to ensure success.
- The decision to outsource application development impacts the organization's internal environment. From people to infrastructure, adequate preparation of the organization is required to enable the smooth transition of the project work to the vendor.
- Vendor non-performance can be the result of its negligence or yours. Application outsourcing contracts often inadequately cover or provide remedy for either party, resulting in disastrous project results and broken relationships. A successful win-win negotiation should result in a detailed contract that stipulates the responsibilities and expectations of each side.
Impact and Result
- Prepare for outsourcing contract negotiations by leveraging the experiences and insights of industry peers who have done this before.
- Understand the benefits and challenges of the outsourcing options available and pick the right project and outsource arrangement to achieve the objectives.
- Understand the internal changes needed to support the outsource arrangement and the implications of these changes to the organization.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.