Build an IT Strategy for Small Enterprise
Don’t let false assumptions hold you back.
- IT Directors and CIOs in small enterprise (SE) IT shops are generalists who provide a full suite of IT services with limited resources.
- They know that the IT services they produce enable the organization to meet its strategic goals, and they need to draft a quick IT strategy to move out of firefighting mode, and prioritize short- and long-term investments.
- However, the energy and resources of SE IT shops are consumed providing everyday IT services.
- To make matters worse, the corporate strategy on which IT’s own strategic planning relies may only be an informal scheme in the mind of the entrepreneur-owner.
- Clarify what the organization expects of IT. Operating under the false expectation that IT should strive for innovation can result in wasted resources and unwanted spending.
Impact and Result
- Articulate a clear IT strategy that aligns with business objectives.
- Imagine a target state aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities, and focus efforts on the most important challenges and opportunities.
- Identify the business capabilities required to execute the corporate strategy.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should build an IT strategy, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Assess the current state of IT
Make the case to garner support for the project, run diagnostics to gather relevant data, and determine the department's level of maturity.
Design the target state of IT
Complete a goals cascade to create IT's strategic roadmap. Align IT projects with corporate goals, map initiatives to business programs, and prioritize IT's big bets.
Communicate the IT strategy
Identify stakeholders for communication, create a communication plan, and prepare a refresh plan for the IT strategy.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Assess the Current State of IT
- Make the case to garner support for the project.
- Run diagnostics to gather relevant data.
- Determine IT maturity to establish next steps.
- Perform SWOT and PEST analyses.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Focus your efforts on the most important challenges and opportunities.
- Improve alignment and credibility with business units.
Review the results of CIO Business Vision
- An assessment of how the organization perceives IT
Review the result of the MGD
- A prioritized list of core IT processes that need attention
Assess IT maturity
- A measure of IT’s current level of maturity
Peform a SWOT analysis
- An understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
Perform a PEST analysis
- An understanding of the environmental factors that affect corporate strategy
Analyze emerging technologies
- A list of technology trends that could influence corporate strategy
Module 2: Design the Target State of IT
- Complete a goals cascade.
- Assess risks and dependencies.
- Create the strategic roadmap.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Align IT initiatives with corporate goals.
- Anticipate opportunities and challenges.
- Structure next steps.
Identify organizational goals
- A list of strategic goals
Define business capabilities
- A list of expertise the business needs to perform its core function
Identify business programs
- A list of programs the business needs to develop the right capabilities
Conduct a business needs analysis
- Requirements for new or existing IT solutions that support business programs
Map IT solutions to business programs
- A list of IT solutions that meet business program requirements
Determine implementation priorities
- A prioritized list of IT solutions
Assess risks and dependencies
- A list of high level risks that could impact proposed IT solutions
Build the strategic roadmap
- A finalized strategic roadmap for IT
Module 3: Communicate the IT Strategy
- Create a communication plan.
- Produce an IT strategy refresh plan.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Identify your audience and key messages.
- Know when to revisit the IT strategy.
Identify when and where communication must take place
- A list of key stakeholders and relevant key messages
Put together a refresh plan for the IT strategy
- A schedule for revisiting the IT strategy