Enterprises outsource their application development and maintenance for a number of reasons, including the ability to gain access to specialized expertise and to reduce costs. A recent Info-Tech survey found that application outsourcing is appropriate for IT departments of any size and does not require large financial or staffing commitments.
This research note identifies and highlights current trends shaping application development and maintenance outsourcing initiatives. Specific topics include:
- Types of application outsourcing.
- Motivations for outsourcing.
- Demographics of organizations that engage in application outsourcing.
- Effects of application outsourcing on current staff.
- Info-Tech’s forecast on the near and mid-term future of application outsourcing.
Use this note to learn how current trends in application outsourcing might impact and benefit the IT department.