RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
Enterprises outsource application development and maintenance for a number of reasons, including the ability to gain access to specialized expertise and to reduce costs. A recent Info-Tech survey found that application outsourcing is appropriate for IT departments of any size and does not require large financial or staffing commitments.
This research note identifies and highlights current trends shaping application development and maintenance outsourcing initiatives, with a particular focus on small enterprises. Specific topics include:
- Types of application outsourcing.
- Motivations for outsourcing.
- Suitability of application outsourcing for small enterprises.
- Effects of application outsourcing on current staff.
- Info-Tech's forecast on the near and mid-term future of application outsourcing.
Use this note to learn how current trends in application outsourcing might impact and benefit the IT department.