RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
While small enterprises often use manual methods to test application code in the software development lifecycle, automated testing can improve many processes during development and bring software to production faster. Although automated testing involves a costly initial overhead, small enterprises can find that the long-term benefits justify the investment.
This note explores when and how some small enterprises can benefit from automated testing. Specific topics include:
- Survey data on how much time is spent on manual testing.
- The business benefits of automated testing.
- A cost analysis of manual and automated testing.
- When automated testing is right for the organization.
- Key points to consider before investing in an automated testing tool.
Use this note to determine if automated testing can benefit the internal quality assurance strategy in the enterprise.