Build a centralized, repeatable process to optimize spending and timing on new project requests. Avoid the pitfalls of approving too many projects, and avoid having demand outpace the supply of time and money.
Align your Projects to Top Business Priorities
Leverage our diagnostic programs to help inform decisions around your PPM capabilities, and build a cohesive, business aligned practice.
Ensure Capacity Meets Project Demands
Effectively communicate your ongoing capacity for projects, and approve and reject projects that have the ability to be completed given your resource constraints.
Standardize Portfolio and Project Management Practices
Hit the ground running by customizing our vast library of ready-to-use project and portfolio management tools and templates to your specific processes.
PPM Key Initiative Plan
Get started on systematic improvement of your project portfolio management. Complete each step using our world class research and advisory services with the option to accelerate the process with workshop & consulting options.
Assess PPM Current State
Only 51% of project hours are spent productively. Find out how your organization compares and what actions to take next.
- Develop an understanding of your current PPM state
- Determine stakeholder gaps and mitigation strategies
- Develop your go-forward road map
- Establish a benchmark for your PPM practice before making changes
- Prioritize process and organizational changes between project, portfolio, change, and customer management
Assess Your Project Portfolio
47% of organizations have an unmanageable list of projects in their backlog. Start the year with a realistic, achievable plan.
- Analyze the investment mix to understand alignment with business objectives
- Establish a target investment mix by department or strategic initiative
- Align your project investments with corporate and IT strategy
- Establish reporting standards for ongoing clarity
Build a PPM Strategy
Only 43% of the planned project work is being delivered each year. It’s time to improve both planning and execution.
- Develop a business case for portfolio management
- Identify the costs that arise from PPM process and technology decisions
- Set benefits expectations based on your investment in PPM
- Make the portfolio more responsive to executive steering committees
- Right-size the PPM processes and tools based on the resourcing you’re prepared to invest
Assess Your Project Management
On time. On budget. Within scope. High quality. Happy sponsors. Happy teams. Project Management has a lot of moving parts you need to manage.
- Conduct a Project Management Process Assessment
- Review your Staffing and Communications approach
- Build out Successful Delivery measurements
- Identify trouble spots to avoid simply pushing for more process governance
- Discover perception gaps between project managers and key stakeholders
Create Project Management Success
Organizations are only 58% satisfied with the quality of their project results. Establish a plan to improve this.
- Assess key stakeholders and the communications needed to ensure project success
- Plan projects for success from the start
- Build a framework to identify project benefits up-front
- Project teams and leaders become more successful with consistent processes
- Portfolio reporting becomes more current and complete
Adopt OCM Best Practices
Organizational Change Management ensures successful deployment and adoption, yet few organizations make someone accountable for OCM.
- Master the process of identifying the impacts of your projects
- Ensure stakeholders receive the right messages at the right times
- Plan to measure benefits attained by your key projects
- Step away from the rush to deliver projects on time, and ensure they were worth doing
- Engage decision makers in the transformation of the business
Establish a Benefits Realization Process
Make it easier to measure success from your projects.
- Build the Benefits Definition Process
- Establish the Benefits Management Process
- Roll-out the Benefits Realization process
- Focus on the projected benefits throughout the life of the project
- Ensure that original project requests have believable, attainable benefits by committing to measure them later
Optimize Resource Management
Two thirds of IT project tasks could be better skills-matched.
- Conduct a Time Tracking Audit to understand project delivery activities
- Build your Resource Management Strategy
- Ensure smart Portfolio-Level Allocations for project resources
- Set reasonable expectations for new projects by arming the leadership with a usable forecast of resource capacity
- Reconcile the imbalance between resource supply and demand
Build a Customer Satisfaction Report
Despite the movement towards Agile, customers still think about the three-constraints model of time, cost, and scope.
- Measure and Report on Project Delivery Success
- Determine the appropriate Cancellation Metrics for your organization
- Ensure you have an accurate IT Capacity Analysis
- Engage the project sponsors in a discussion about IT project success
- Identify department-level success and challenges