Use Metrics for Competitive Advantage
Measure the stuff that matters most to the business.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: October 31, 2011
- IT departments generally collect and report either too many metrics or the wrong ones.
- Metrics programs frequently fail because little attention has been paid to what the objectives are and what should actually be measured.
Return to Manage IT in Turbulent Times
- Each IT performance metric must be clearly linked to a relevant business impact. Stop measuring and reporting metrics that are irrelevant.
- Develop metrics around customer satisfaction and IT process quality to improve customer satisfaction with IT.
Impact and Result
- Adapt to the business model changing suddenly and unpredictably
- Adopt new technologies (e.g. mobile, social) and develop new strategies
- Respond to an increase in client & staff demand and sophistication
- Think strategically: You can't cut your way to success, and the status quo is expensive
Get to Action
Select and implement the right metrics
Develop data center metrics
Develop development metrics
Develop financial metrics