Structure Your DevOps Adoption Using a Metrics-Driven Approach
Set measurement-based objectives the organization can strive for collaboratively.
- In today’s world, business agility is essential to stay competitive. Rapid customer response through efficient development and deployment is critical in creating a positive customer experience.
- Traditional development and operations silos don’t scale well for rapid response. An approach that is end-user driven is needed.
- DevOps is a philosophy, not an industry framework. Do not search for someone else’s approach to adopt; be critical of your own environment and what needs to be fixed to increase value for your customers.
- Aligned metrics lead to aligned teams. Dev and Ops need to be measured on customer-driven outcomes to enable trust and collaboration.
- People, over processes, over tools. Structure a foundation of the right people with the right skills, and then optimize their processes, tactics, and toolsets.
Impact and Result
- Create alignment across functions by using a set of business objective aligned metrics to guide your DevOps adoption.
- Use an industry best-practice framework to brainstorm holistically about the potential capabilities that could benefit your organization and prioritize them based on impact and effort.
- Structure a DevOps governance and metrics program that promotes collaboration, transparency, and empathy across teams, establishes the appropriate roles and responsibilities, and ensures alignment to a common set of goals.
- Create an implementation roadmap that considers the necessary competencies, capabilities, and dependencies to move towards the desired DevOps target state.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to learn what a holistic approach to DevOps entails, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Establish your organizational fit with DevOps
Conduct an assessment of your organization’s current state and understand if you are ready to start your DevOps journey.
Brainstorm your desired DevOps capabilities
Identify the root causes of your organization’s current challenges and conduct a cross-functional brainstorming session for collaborative responses to the challenges.
Structure your DevOps environment
Conduct a gap analysis between your current state and your DevOps capability matrix, and strategize the most effective methods to fill those gaps in your organization.
Create your DevOps roadmap
Structure your desired capabilities and associated tactics into an adoption roadmap.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Conduct a Current State and Readiness Assessment
- Understand any current issues that are affecting your development and operations processes/teams.
- Understand the organizational pre-requisites for beginning a DevOps transformation.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A comprehensive analysis of your current state to identify key challenges.
- A high-level readiness assessment that indicates what steps need to be taken prior to beginning a DevOps transformation.
Document organizational priorities and related metrics.
Determine the current state of your organizational culture.
- Organizational Culture Assessment
Summarize your development and operations processes with a SIPOC-MC.
- Development and Operations Processes and Tools Assessment
Highlight challenges in your current development and operations processes. Map your current organizational structure.
Collect and analyze your current development and operations metrics.
- Metrics Assessment
Conduct a high-level DevOps readiness assessment.
- Readiness Assessment
Module 2: Brainstorm Solutions to Current Needs and Challenges
- Find the root causes of your current challenges identified on Day 1.
- Identify current customer needs and challenges.
- Brainstorm DevOps collaborative responses to identified business and customer challenges.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A deep understanding of where current challenges originate.
- A shift in perspective towards a customer-centric view of product development.
- A comprehensive DevOps capability matrix that consists of the results of the collaborative brainstorming sessions.
Conduct a root-cause analysis for your current limitations and challenges.
Identify ideas to improve your identified challenges.
- Solution to Current Challenges
Identify ideas to improve your DevOps related metrics.
Identify your customers’ needs and develop separate Dev and Ops responses.
- Identified Customer Needs and Challenges
Create a future-state DevOps capability matrix.
- DevOps Capability Matrix
Determine the effort required to build your future-state capabilities.
- Impact Assessment of DevOps Capabilities
Module 3: Define Engagement Plans
- Identify the gaps between your current state and your desired customer-aligned DevOps capabilities and strategize ways to fill them.
- Structure a metrics program to promote empathy and alignment across your teams.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Re-structured governance and organizational design to sync with your desired DevOps capabilities.
- Optimization of your current DevOps processes and tools.
- Creation of a DevOps metrics program.
Define your legacy roles to understand their current competencies.
Drill down your future-state capabilities into key competencies.
Identify the gaps between your current and desired competencies.
Structure your DevOps governance.
- DevOps Governance Structure
Map your desired DevOps organizational design.
- Re-structured Organizational Design
Map your target-state DevOps process.
- Target-State DevOps Process
Standardize tools across your DevOps process.
- Standardized DevOps Toolset
Define your DevOps metrics program.
- DevOps Metrics Program
Determine how metrics are collected, recorded, and reported upon.
Module 4: Create a DevOps Roadmap
Develop a roadmap to implement your new capabilities and associated changes.
Key Benefits Achieved
A well-defined and structured roadmap based on a best-practice prioritization schema.
Categorize your DevOps capabilities into your adoption phases.
Integrate your necessary people changes into your adoption phases.
Integrate your necessary process and tool changes into your adoption phases.
Order your inter-phase initiatives based on priority and dependency.
Structure your DevOps adoption roadmap with Info-Tech’s DevOps Adoption Roadmap Workbook.
- DevOps Adoption Roadmap