Select and Implement an Identity and Access Management System
- Identity and access management (IAM) solutions offer a wide range of features. Some focus on point solutions for multi-factor authentication (MFA), privileged access management (PAM), and single sign-on (SSO) capabilities, while some offer full-fledged IAM suites. You may struggle to determine which solution makes sense for your environment.
- Many organizations get stuck trying to identify what their needs truly are when it comes to IAM.
- The ultimate goal is to balance high ROI, low initial cost, high IT/operational benefits, and high business alignment – a challenging task that will require some compromises.
IAM is for everyone, but a holistic solution is not (right now). There are two categories of IAM:
- Broad IAM solutions that offer suite-like options.
- Niche players that have point solutions (for example, offering a separate password management solution or separate MFA solutions).
Not everyone will need or be able to afford a full-fledged IAM suite – however, all organizations should be working toward that goal and keep it in mind as they begin to evaluate vendors. Look for a vendor that can grow with you, allowing you to add capabilities.
Impact and Result
- Before you invest in IAM, consider how thorough your solution needs to be. There may be IAM alternatives that would work for you, you may need individual point solutions, or you may need a full IAM suite.
- Determine which use case you align with most closely, whether you need improved operational efficiency, optimized user experience, or a full identity governance solution.
- Based on your requirements, use the Vendor Landscape evaluation and associated tools to narrow down the list of vendors.
- Plan the implementation of the IAM solution, ensuring that the implementation schedule is future-proofed. Whether you’re starting from on premise and eventually moving to the cloud or starting with point and eventually moving to broader IAM, you must establish where your organization is set to go with IAM before you can start.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should select and implement an IAM solution, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Launch the IAM project
Assess the need for an IAM solution and structure the IAM selection project.
Select an IAM solution
Investigate the vendor landscape, produce a vendor shortlist, draft and evaluate RFPs, and conduct vendor demonstrations to select the right IAM solution.
Plan the IAM implementation
Prepare for the IAM implementation and measure the value of the solution.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Launch the IAM Project
- Understand the IAM marketspace.
- Plan the IAM procurement process.
- Identify the use-case scenarios that align with your IAM requirements.
- Determine baseline metrics to evaluate the solution’s effectiveness.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Awareness of the options that exist and where the market is going with respect to IAM solutions.
- A formally documented procurement process that will keep tasks on track as individuals are aware of roles, responsibilities, and deadlines.
- A focus on the use-case scenario that applies to your organization.
- Assessment of your IAM solution based on concrete metrics that matter.
Discuss the current IAM market.
- Realistic perspective of the IAM marketspace
Determine if an IAM solution is right for you.
Develop the IAM procurement charter.
- Formalized procurement process
Identify your best-fit use-case scenario.
- The most appropriate use-case scenario to structure your evaluation around
Brainstorm baseline metrics and target goals to gauge the solution’s effectiveness.
- Set of metrics to track the effectiveness of the solution
Module 2: Select Your IAM Solution
- Review the vendor profiles to understand strengths, weaknesses, and challenges.
- Customize the RFP to submit to vendors.
- Ensure vendor demos focus on the features you care about, rather than simply highlighting their strengths.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Selection of a solution that meets your requirements and fulfills your specific needs.
- Time saved during RFP development to produce the statement of work, scope of work, requirements, budget & estimated pricing, etc.
- Realistic view of the products performing relevant tasks.
Analyze the vendor landscape.
- Detailed understanding of the vendor landscape
Create a custom vendor shortlist.
- Narrowed-down list of suitable solutions
Develop an RFP.
- Completed and reviewed RFP document
Standardize a vendor demo script.
- Fairly evaluated vendor demos