- Software Education Associates
- Chickasaw Nation
- InterSwitch Limited
- Calgary Board of Education
- Health Alliance
- Colorado Judicial Department
- Southern Cross University
- Managers have implemented Agile, but struggle to realize any significant gain from it.
- Managers want to know what other Agile techniques exist within various development domains.
- Managers need an analytical model through which decisions about reduction of technical debt can be realized.
- Development practices should focus on generating artifact value instead of processes.
- Artifacts can devalue each other and this codependency needs to be managed through a regular assessment.
- Inter and intra-project artifact dependencies should be accounted for in the assessment of an artifact’s value.
- Value for an artifact is measured across two criteria: reusability and maintainability.
Impact and Result
- Categorize artifacts within your software practice based on value and churn.
- Quantify the cost of poor artifact management.
- Understand the different Agile techniques for improving artifact value.
- Create a development practice roadmap to go from where you are today into the future.
1. Make the Business Case
Realize many development departments are suffering. Use this toolkit to help you improve the value of your artifacts.
2. Determine the value of development practice artifacts
Review and evaluate your current application development process.
3. Select the techniques to help improve the value of development artifacts
Evaluate the fit of all possible techniques that generate your artifact through ROI and impact analysis.
4. Rollout the Process
Prioritize your rollout based on your organization’s prioritization profile.
5. Monitor the Process
Establish metrics to track the progress and success of the amended app dev process.
This guided implementation is a four call advisory process.
Call #1 - Assess your artifacts
Get off to a productive start: Perform an initial assessment of pain points in your current app dev process and identify artifacts driving these pains. Calculate the technical debt and determine the most appropriate action.
Call #2 - Select the techniques
Determine the best fit techniques: Review commonly used techniques, evaluate the fit and cost of each proposed technique and assess its impact on your people, process, and technology.
Call #3 - Rollout the process
Begin to execute your selected techniques: Review your organization’s prioritization criteria and apply it to your app dev process. Identify dependencies among activities in this portfolio as well as those in the IT department.
Call #4 - Monitor the process
Establish metrics and ensure business alignment: Review the rollout of your process and document any unexpected impacts and cost. Verify the execution does not steer away from business objectives. Discuss the next steps.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Assess Your Artifacts
- Understand the common development pains organizations are facing.
- Map artifacts to specific pain points in your current app dev process.
- Assess your artifacts based on churn and risk.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Identify and address the gaps in your existing app dev process.
- Determine the appropriate action for each artifact.
- List of key stakeholders
Assess your current development process
- Assessment of current app dev process
Determine the fate of your artifacts
- List of artifacts to be archived, modified and automated
Module 2: Select the Techniques
- Understand the processes and products of several design, development, testing and deployment techniques
Key Benefits Achieved
- Select the best fitting technique
- Conduct an impact analysis of a technique on your existing app dev process
Select the design and development techniques
- List of design and development techniques to rollout
Select the testing and deployment techniques
- List of testing and deployment techniques to rollout
Module 3: Prepare and Execute Your Rollout
- How to prioritize your rollout
- The dev practice metrics to gauge success
Key Benefits Achieved
- Prioritize your rollout with dependencies in mind
- Build a communication plan with stakeholders
Prepare your rollout
- Technique rollout order of execution and project dependencies mapping
Communicate with stakeholders
- List of dev practice metrics