Plan, Select, and Deploy Windows 7 the Right Way
The question isn't whether implementing Windows 7 is necessary, but rather, which version, how, and how soon.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: March 30, 2010
- As XP faces end of life, IT must look at implementing Windows 7 across the enterprise to ensure business continuity.
- Windows 7 has a multitude of options - 32 bit vs. 64 bit, Premium vs. Enterprise - that may require significant due diligence on the part of IT to assess and implement throughout the organization.
- This solution set will help you determine which version of Windows 7 is most appropriate and develop a deployment strategy and plan for your organization.
- Business continuity and support are the driving factors behind Windows 7 migration, not ROI and TCO.
- When it comes to installing a new OS across an enterprise, there are unique ways of building buy-in and ensuring less hiccups. Focus on providing limited access to all end users to "bang on the system" as a way of testing and training.
- If you're currently a Microsoft shop, it's best to stay that way. There is alot to be lost in the switch, and little to gain.
Impact and Result
- Select the most appropriate version of Windows 7 for your organization.
- Know what to test and how to test, to ensure a smooth pilot and deployment.
- Understand deployment options, and select the right implementation method(s).
Get to Action
Determine the version of Windows 7 needed.
Focus on the status of current hardware, the security and remote access needs of the organization, and the capital investment you're willing to make.
Deploy Windows 7 across the enterprise.
Understand the internal limitations of your organization. Deployment methodologies vary depending on the number of end users requiring the software, the complexity of their needs, the expertise of internal IT staff and the constraints of available hardware.
Companies Who Helped
- Shenandoa Valley Westminister Cantebury
- Lane County USA
- Fujitsu Transaction Solutions Limited
- Moneris Payment Solutions
- Elder Affairs
- Blount Industries
- Independent Consultant