Cut Through Microsoft Licensing Complexity to Negotiate a Better Deal
Price is not the only way to save money on Microsoft licensing. Optimize your MS licensing agreement, and fit the agreement to the enterprise.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: October 13, 2010
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
- Value Added and Large Account Resellers do not always tell you what you need to know to negotiate a better license agreement and might just respond with, “Sorry, this is the best that we can do,” when you are looking for areas of savings.
- Microsoft has multiple licensing options to provide flexibility for various sized organizations, commitment levels, and product usage. This adds greatly to the complexity, causing many companies to buy into the wrong program and therefore overspend.
- Microsoft Agreements account for up to 50% of a company’s software budget.
- Less than 50% of companies do not prepare adequately for Microsoft software negotiations.
- Understanding the key nuances between the programs available, and how to determine what your organization needs is key to minimizing costs.
- This solution set will give you confidence that you are making sound Microsoft licensing decisions.
Impact and Result
- Provide clarity to the licensing agreement options.
- Build a business case for or against Software Assurance.
- Save thousands of dollars by licensing the right product through the right program.
- Saskatoon Health
- Three other large organizations that requested to remain anonymous.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.
BONUS Get access to up to 5 additional free downloadsDownload Now
Get to Action
Best Practices Toolkit
Build a Microsoft licensing strategy.
Implement a strategy for the organization and optimize license expenses.
Create a technology roadmap.
Align technology changes to business strategy.
Assess the value of Software Assurance.
Determine if the program is appropriate for the organization.
Build a negotiation strategy.
Reach license goals and strengthen the negotiation position.
Talk to an Analyst
Each of our solution sets include information, tools and templates to help you complete a project on your own. However, if you want extra help, our silver and gold memberships include phone access to our analysts. Analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
- Book an Analyst Call on this topic. You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
- Get advice from a subject matter expert. Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
Make Sense of MS System Center ConfigMgr Data to Save Up to 35%
Manage Software Assets Efficiently
Develop a Comprehensive Hardware Asset Management Strategy
Review Microsoft Licensing to Save 25%
Automate the IT Asset Management Solution
Vendor Landscape: IT Asset Management – Mid-Market
Vendor Landscape: IT Asset Management – Enterprise
Vendor Landscape: Mobile Device Management Suites
Implement IT Asset Management to Rightsize Costs and Reduce Risks